Extra pounds and inactivity can put stress on the heart and create other health problems. exercise is key for heart health and weight management, so aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day. not only will it help you shed some pounds, it can also help raise your "good" cholesterol.
Use the following tips to make the most of your exercise time...
According to the American College of Sports Medicine and the CDC, you should aim for 150 minutes of moderate-intensity per week. you can break up this time in a variety of ways. Feel the burn for 30 minutes, 5 days a week or try a split of 30 and 60-minutes workouts of the course of 3 days. Even if 150 minutes is more than your ready for, every little bit helps. The American Heart Association reports that every hour of walking may increase your life expectancy by two hours.
Your body is best served by a combination of both cardiovascular and resistance exercise. So combinations of walking, running or biking (just to name a few options) along with some weight training, pull ups and sit ups, or yoga will cover all your bases.
Tips for Success
If the desire to exercise doesn't come naturally to you, don't give up! These tips can help keep you on track:
- Find something you enjoy, forcing somethijng you hadte won't stick long term
- Start slow and work your way up- doing too much at first can lead to injury and then you can't exercise at all
- Enlist a friend or family member to help stay motivated
- Diversifty! Change up the workouts to keep things intersting
- Fuel your workouts properly to make sure yoyu are energixed
- Make a day off part of your paln. It's a good way to find balance and you'll reduce your risk of injury
- Is the gym not your thing? Try one of the following:
- Go for a walk
- Forgo the elevator
- Park at the end of the parking lot
- Have a garage sale
- Boogie to your favorite tunes